Thursday 14 March 2013

I am a tad confused

I am an atheist and must confess that I have not taken much interest in religious matters most of my life other than from a political point of view. For the last few days, and I expect in the days to come, it has been impossible to avoid the subject of religion and in particularly the Catholic brand.

What is confusing me is the questioning of the choice of the new Pope. He is too old they say. He is too conservative they say. He is anti gay marriage they say and so on and on. I am struggling to come to terms with all of this.

Although the Pope is elected by a conclave of Cardinals is not their vote led by the hand of God and thereby the choice of the Cardinals is the choice of God? If so how can their choice be questioned from any perspective. Surely any criticism of this choice is a denial of the Pope being God's choice and infallible etc, etc?

I also cannot understand the disappointment in the appointment of a conservative. How can a Pope go against God's will? Is not the concept of Gay marriage a secular one? The last time I looked there has been no revelation to the faithful to change the teaching of the bible. Could a pronouncement by the Pope that the teachings of the Church since time immemorial have been wrong and that change is now required be considered a revelation by God himself?

If God were to make such a revelation through the Pope what does that say about the other religions such as Judaism, Islam, Hinduism et al. Would such a revelation be for Catholics only or for all Personkind?

One commentator on Sky News this morning said that the Church had not kept up with modern trends and it would be good if the new Pope could could, in a manner of speaking, get with the program. Again my question is why?

The president of Argentina wished the new Pope well and said that she hoped he would support more just causes. I am guessing her "just causes" are again secular concepts and a veiled dismissal of religious concepts.

The reason that there are so many religious factions is that the Word has been deciphered by men. It is quite easy to say that when God said .... he really meant ...., but surely it can't be right? And if such interpretations are led by the hand of God which ones are God given and which ones are political?

I am sure that by now you appreciate my dilemma. To just ask all the questions would take more space than the internet provides and you probably fell asleep two paragraphs ago, but to try and boil it down into one simple question it would be; Is the Pope chosen by the hand of God and if so is it right to question that choice?

I will be the first to applaud a Pope who was to adopt more modern, secularist concepts, but I am not holding my breath.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks B. This week the questions. Next week? More questions. ;D

      Delete